Religion has been a feature of the world for as long as it came into existence. Different religious traditions have played a major role in the evolution of our society. This is a look at some of the benefits and the disadvantages that the world has received from religion.
Advantages of religion:
1. The fact that there are a fairly good amount of people who felt the need of certainty that there is a God who cares and watches over them. Also, religion can promote sence of community.
2. Religion gives them comfort, however true or false that comfort is, it means great value to them.
3. Churches organizes free meals for those who live alone, the homeless and the elderly. Religious organizations can help those who are less fortunate.
4. Statistically, religious people live longer and healthier. Theory and literature suggests that the reason religiously-involved people tend to have good health outcomes is because they have healthy lifestyles.
5. Church services milestones, celebrates significant life events such as birthdays, marriages and deaths.
6. In many countries, the church help meantains historical buildings.
7. A vast majority of global voluntary organization are man-powered by people of faith.
Although, with many different religions, there are some disadvantages in our society. Yes, in a society with a variety of religions there will be conflict and also disagreement because of differing views. Now let us look at some of the disadvantages or negative effects of religion.
1. Religion is greedy. Demanding a 10% tithe from every members of the church according to christian bible.
2. Promotes irrational and “magical” thinking for solution to moral and ethical problems. It asserts that I am to believe so, because God (supposedly) said so. The glaring problem here is that much of what is claimed as “God’s words” is actually just historical musings of the powerful seeking more of it over the serfs.
2. Stops freedom of thought by listing what your morals ought to be. And by regarding any independent thought as challenging the word of God which is apperantly not to be questioned.
3. Uses a lot of circular logic, and appeals to authority to justify its existence.
4. Religion uses social aprobation as a second level tool to insure compliance.
5. Promotes letting evil people escape without punishment. Leads people into thinking that they are not liable for bad things they have done. Creates the illusion of evil for a “scapegoat” or something to put blame on their own actions.
6. Religion anchors believers to the Iron Age. Concubines, magical incantations, chosen people, stoning. The Iron Age was a time of rampant superstition, ignorance, inequality, racism, misogyny, and violence.
7. Gives people unscientific explaination to how humans came to be and gives an illusion of satisfaction to stop discovering. Promotes authoritarianism in requiring compliance to dogma.
8. Sets up a phyramid type of athauritism for example preists and pastors that can scare you into compliance. The threat of going to hell for example if you refuse to believe what they have claimed.
9. Divides and causes people to judge other people who do not share their beliefs into thinking that they are going to hell and in some way superior because they worship the true God.